Why Do I Need Travel Assistance?
Travel Assistance helps you if you are faced with an emergency when traveling. With a local network providing support in virtually all countries in the world, Standard Insurance Company's partner, Assist America, is here to assist you 24 hours a day.
The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program requires participants to have certain coverage with minimum benefits. This program provides coverage of repatriation of remains and medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in amounts in excess of those required by the US Department of State. Coverage in this program is available for the cost of $1.25 per month.
Extended Travel Assistance Materials:
- Employee Flyer
- Extended Travel Assistance Program Description
- Extended Travel Assistance Employee FAQ
- Wallet Card
- Medical Search and Referral: Standard Insurance Company's partner, Assist America, will assist you in finding physicians, dentists, and medical facilities.
- Medical Monitoring: During the course of a medical emergency, professional case managers, including physicians and nurses, will monitor your case to determine whether the care is appropriate or if evacuation/repatriation is required.
- Medical Evacuation/Return Home: In the event of a medical emergency, when a physician designated by Assist America determines that it is medically necessary for you to be transported under medical supervision to the nearest hospital or treatment facility or be returned to your place of residence for treatment, Assist America will arrange and pay for the transport under proper medical supervision.
- Transport Escort: Upon request, Assist America will arrange but not pay for a family member or other traveling companion to continue to accompany the individual during evacuation, repatriation or return of remains if it is reasonably possible for that person to accompany the individual.
- Return of Mortal Remains: In the event of death while traveling, Assist America will arrange and pay for all necessary government authorization, including a container appropriate for transportation and for the return of the remains to place of residence for burial.
This program is for University of Utah employees and students with a J-1 visa. All services take effect when you are on a trip 100 miles or more from your primary residence or in a foreign country (including the United States).
Your spouse and dependents are covered while residing with you and traveling with you for relocation purposes or on business including ancillary/pleasure travel up to 3 days.
After your coverage has been verified, Assist America will arrange and pay for the following within the program limits and guidelines previously described:
- Medical Evacuation/Return Home
- Return of Mortal Remains
Assist America has the resources to help you medically and financially in case of a travel emergency. Even the best health insurance companies do not have an out of area network comparable to Assist America. Assist America’s network is both domestic and international. Assist America monitors your medical condition to make sure you receive proper care. Assist America can help you find an appropriate medical facility or transport you to one if necessary. On the financial side, even if your medical insurance provides complete overseas coverage, you will most likely have to pay upfront for medical services. Assist America can in many cases provide the necessary guarantee of payment, saving you from having to pay expenses out of pocket.
* These services are only eligible for payment or reimbursement if Assist America is contacted at the time of service and has arranged and/or pre-approved the service. You are financially responsible for any actual expenses associated with any other service, but not for any arrangements that Assist America makes or Assist America’s case management fees. Assist America will not charge for internal expenses such as telephone costs, medical monitoring fees, or time working on your case.